Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blanket Songs

With the onset of another deep freeze here in Kingston, just days after we were already hit with -38 degree Celsius temperatures,  my housemates and I find ourselves scrambling to adorn ourselves with any shred of fabric at hand.  We move around the house like a small herd of babushkas.  To help with the situation I've tried my best to keep the airwaves warm as well.  In that regard, I've been compiling songs that I like to refer to as 'blanket songs'.  Let me share some with you and you'll see what I mean.

The first is a song by James Blake, the UK songwriter and winner of Mercury Prize 2012 for best album.  Blake's music immediately fills the room.  Layers upon layers of vocal effects topped with heavy synth use create an underwater vibe.  Nothing is better than putting on headphones, turning off the lights and laying in bed to this fine tunage.

The second song is an old favourite of mine.  A classic off a classic album, Everything In Its Right Place by Radiohead is best listened to on the finest speakers you can find in your house, in the smallest room you can find.  Much like warm blankets of sound pouring from my speakers.  You can't not listen to it and feel cozy.

The third is a departure from the other two.  Fotheringay by Fairport Convention has a wonderful warmth generated by some great backing vocals to Sandy Denny's already soft folky voice.  The 1969 recording also adds a hazy and comfy feel.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy these as I have.  Have a great day and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment